if you want to know how you can become a nursemaid in Nigeria, then you will have to study this article further.
We will show you the requirements in this particular area of expertise and how you can become a full-fledged nursemaid.
Not only that but with the job description and other relevant information you will need to be aware of.
Becoming An Auxiliary Nurse In Nigeria
If out of 10,000 people in Nigeria 23 are nursemaids, it means the country is running out of such nurses. Consequently, the demand for nursemaids is high, given Nigeria’s large population.
Their work is about facilitating the provision of health care in hospitals and other community services. However, if you want to become one, you will not spend much time in your study compared to other medical lines.
Who is a Nursemaid?
An auxiliary nurse is sometimes called a practical nurse or even a nursemaid. They are responsible for administering patient care and identifying urgent medical conditions. You can find a practical nurse in a nursing home, school district, community center, or a home with mental and physical disabilities. No matter where doctors are, you can find a nurse assistant nearby.
How Do I Become A Nursemaid In Nigeria?
Understanding the different terminology is one of the main criteria that must be taken into account before becoming a nursemaid.
However, to become a nursemaid in Nigeria, you do not have to attend a nursing school.
You only need to be trained in hospitals for at least two years and your duty is to follow the instructions of a qualified doctor or nurse.
You must know that nursemaid does not administer a medical diagnosis or rather get down any treatment to a patient. It is because they are not qualified enough to provide nursing services.
As such, it is forbidden to replace a qualified physician with a nursemaid.
Nursemaid Requirements in Nigeria
As mentioned earlier, you do not need to attend a nursing school to become one. All you should have are the results of your high school, i.e. your WAEC or NECO.
Some hospitals might not even request this credential. Once you can communicate in English and can practice basic health care, you are ready to go.
Functions of Nursemaid in Nigeria
After completing the two-year training and becoming a full-time practical nurse, you should be able to carry out the following responsibilities.
- Assist qualified health personnel in the delivery of healthcare to patients.
- You should be able to observe, collect data and record important signs, blood pressure, temperatures, measure weight and evaluate the respiratory level of patients.
- A nursemaid also makes sure that patients are very comfortable when a doctor provides healthcare.
- A nursemaid is also trained to assist patients who are incapable of dressing and bathing, particularly patients with physical disabilities. As well, they feed the patients with breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- In case you don’t know, an auxiliary nurse can administer medications to patients based on the doctor’s prescription.
- Qualified physicians can designate a nursemaid to take a patient for a walk when exercise is needed.
- A nursemaid is also responsible for arranging the bed and changing patient linens.
- A nursemaid also provides some clinical support under the supervision of a qualified nurse. Like physiotherapists, nutritionists and pediatricians.
- They also help in the mental preparation of patients for a therapy session or better to set up the equipment that will be used for the session. In other cases, they may offer assistance in the actual treatment.
Variation between a Qualified and Nursemaid
A trained nurse must pass through a nursing school for many years and then pass a standard national exam. This is when an individual can be licensed as a professional nurse.
While on the other hand, an auxiliary nurse doesn’t need to go to such an institution. All they need is two years of training in the hospital, as we mentioned earlier.
While a qualified nurse can administer diagnosis and even commence treatment on patients before the doctor’s arrival, an auxiliary nurse will only be there attending and perform other functions as listed above.
In case you’re not aware, no matter what experience you have as a nursemaid, you can never be a qualified nurse.
Validity of a Healthcare Assistant Certificate
Unfortunately, the government does not recognize any certification issued to a nursemaid for any job opportunity either at the local, state, or federal health center level.
The only healthcare assistants that are employed in government health institutions are the ones that have undergone a nursing college, health engineering, or health information management.
However, some privately owned hospitals absorb such nursemaids. But the “Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria” says it is at their own risk.
What About the Salary of a Healthcare Assistant in Nigeria?
To the extent that you would like to become a practical nurse, you need to know how much is paid as monthly compensation.
Each country has its pay scale for healthcare assistants, as does Nigeria. However, you need to be aware that the salary of a nursemaid in Nigeria varies by hospital and location.
The remuneration of nursemaids in private hospitals is different from that of a governmental hospital.
Likewise, an auxiliary nurse in some megacities such as Lagos, Abuja, and Port-Harcourt receives a higher salary than in some low-income regions.
In Nigeria, a nursemaid receives between ₦25,000 and ₦30,000 a month as a salary. But some incentives may be offered at certain times.
There is still a need for nursemaids in the country, so it’s hardly a waste of time if you go ahead to become one. At least you can contribute in some way to providing health care in the hospital.
If you want to become a nursemaid, this article has all the requirements that you must correspond to. It might be an opportunity for you to change the world. So do not hesitate.