Are you interested in attending a world-class institution that focuses on vocational education that covers the power sector? Or you want to learn the nitty-gritty and master the skills required to handle approaches within the power sector?
Wait no further because the Lagos Energy Academy (LEA) is there to equip you with the all needed skills for the power sector.
How many of you know about the existence of this academy? Or the kind of programs and courses it offers. Well, this post will educate you on that. And also enlighten you on what the academy is all about.
We will also tell you the Lagos Energy Academy came into existence. And tuition fee payable to get trained in the academy. You would also know the processes involved in getting there.
When The Lagos Energy Academy Was Founded?
The Lagos Energy Academy came into being in October 2014. It was set up to deliver wide-ranging technical training for the younger generation in 3 key areas of interest.
The areas of interest include; power, public lighting, and energy development.
But before that, the Lagos State Government in its ingenuity and wisdom emphasized the provision of adequate power for the sustenance of its emergent mega-city.
As a result of this, the administration of the former governor of Lagos State, Babatunde Fashiola identified sustainable energy as a key to supporting the State’s economic development plan.
This was highlighted in the 10-point memo of his administration at the time.
This in part forms the major reasons behind the setting up of the Lagos Energy Academy a year before the expiration of his tenure. The academy was founded primarily to provide the following:
- Practical job-related training on all-inclusive topics and subjects considered to be of importance to the power sector value chain
- Classroom-based approaches to learning the basic skills needed as a prerequisite for the power sector.
Most importantly, the vocational training serves as a quick response to meeting the skilled labor requirements of the sector in Lagos State.
Objectives Of Lagos Energy Academy
Consequently, upon this, the academy formulated a set of positive objectives that serve as a springboard for its operations in the state. The objectives are as follows:
- Provide international standard training in all areas of the power value chain ranging from generation, transmission, distribution, and training on power sector components such as transformers, meters, and control panels
- Provide industry-standard training for young citizens and produce employable graduates
- Deliver medium and long-term social and economic benefits to citizens and society in the state by improving local content inputs, building local capacity, improving energy efficiency, and creating new jobs
- Improve the standard of electricity technicians and professionals in Lagos State and Nigeria
- Establish a certification scheme to ensure that professionals have received and continue to receive a high level of training and experience
- To establish a research and development (R&D) center where new technology in power generation, distribution, and management can be developed.
Courses Run By Lagos Energy Academy (LEA)
The academy runs a robust program that is job-specific and related to the power sector. They include:
Electrical Engineering Technician Training
If you are a graduate, electrical engineer, or technician working with or in need of technical knowledge on all forms of electrical installations, equipment, and technology, this is for you. The duration of the course is 4 months.
Solar Energy Training
This is a 5-day course targeting engineers and technicians working in plants, distribution outfits, and industrial facilities.
As an engineer or manager engaged in metering wants to upgrade to smart metering, this 4-day course is good for you.
This 4-day course will teach candidates the tenets of effective and useful auditing in energy.
Those interested in learning about generator installations can register for this 3-day course.
Medium and Low Voltage Installations
Within 4 days, candidates especially those working will get to know more about electrical energy installations.
This 2-day training will provide those working within power generation and supply units with a practical synopsis of design, developments, applications, and potentials of smart grid.
Power System Planning
This course would provide general information to those working within the power and energy sector in the area of technical economical solutions of power distribution and other supply utilities. It is a 3 days intensive training.
Rural Electrification Techniques for Engineers and Technicians
Because of the extensive nature of the training, it lasts for about 10 days.
And within the days, participants will learn about the commission and maintenance of distribution transformers, cooling methods, and block distribution stations.
It is specially designed for engineers, junior engineers, field personnel, and technicians who engage in the operation, planning, design, maintenance, and servicing of rural electrification systems.
Fundamentals of Power Systems Economics
This 3-day training would garnish participants such as managers, supervisors, project managers, economists, and engineers with fundamental knowledge of planning and operation of power systems.
In general, other courses offered by the academy include but not limited to the following:
- Synchronization Training
- Distribution Transformers- Fundamentals and Operation
- Power Transformers- Fundamentals and Operation
- Distribution Transformers- Grounding and Protection
- Protection Technology- Principles
- Protection of Oil and Gas Power Networks
- Power Quality
- Power Transmission and Distribution
- Power Transmission and Distribution Systems- Load and Circuit Calculation
- Transmission and Distribution Networks Part 1 and 2
- Electrical Power Issues in Nigeria for Bankers, Investors, and Professionals
- Electricity Market Regulation
- Principles of Numerical Protection Technology
- Electrical Engineering for Oil and Gas Field Personnel
- Cash Call and Cost Reduction in Power Project Financing
- Project Management for Electric Power Utility Capital Projects
- Power Plant Operation and design
- Operational Excellence in Power Project Management
The Lagos Energy Academy runs a partnership with key leaders and stakeholders in the power and energy sector. This is to enable it to deliver energy education and harness innovation in the energy marketplace. The partners are:
- Renac Renewables Academy
- Mikano International Limited
- Momas Systems Nigeria Limited
For inquiries and more details, you can visit the Lagos Energy Academy at Lagos State Electricity Board compound at Muiz Banire Street Besides Old Passport Office, GRA, Ikeja, Lagos.
You can reach it via the mobile phone number: 234 (0) 8093885890
Or send an email to: [email protected]