Those who wish to know the English name of Panla fish will find this writing very helpful. It is because we will give you the name of this fish in English and perhaps with other names if there are any.
A description of this fish will not be out of place, so take advantage of your time with us.
Panla Fish English Name: Health Benefits & Cooking Methods
Panla fish has been an amazing and popular family of Murrolucius of oceanic fish. A lot of people love to fish because of its flaky, lean, and milky-whitish flesh.
Besides, it is rich in calcium, phosphorus, zinc, iodized magnesium, and potassium.
They are found primarily in warmer areas of the ocean such as the Atlantic and Mediterranean Seas.
How a Panla Fish Looks Like
Although there are many species of Panla fish, you may be able to identify this particular kind of fish. It has a long brown-to gray body which is slightly thicker and a length of about 12 to 16 inches (30-70 cm).
The head of a Panla fish is said to be 30 percent of standard length. Just so you know, the head is really big. I suppose some people smile at the sound of the fish having a big head.
In addition, Panla fish has about 100 grams to ounces and contains about 182 calories, 25.4 grams of protein, and a lot more. If you are not aware, this type of fish weighs about 0.45 – 3.63 kg, about 8 pounds.
If you take a look at Panla fish’s mouth, it looks pointy with a jagged jaw.
Another great thing about this fish is that it’s got a lifespan of about 14 years.
This is the primary reason why some people are always hanging on this page. Don’t worry, we’ll tell you whatever you want to hear.
The English name of Panla fish is HAKE fish, although some people call it with other market names, it is all the same. As we mentioned earlier, they are situated in the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea.
Other names for hake depend on the area where the fish are located. So you can verify in the table below and see other names given to this fish.
|Market Names of Hake Fish||Region||Scientific name|
|Silver Hake, Atlantic Whiting, New England Hake, Scrod, and whiting||US, Canada, and the Atlantic Ocean||Merluccius bilinearis|
|Pacific Hake, Pacific whiting||Pacific US and Canada||Merluccius Productus|
|Red Hake, Squirrel Hake, Scrod and, Whiting||US and Canadian Atlantic||Urophycis chuss|
|Atlantic Hake, Offshore Silver Hake, and Whiting.||US, Central America, and Brazil||Merluccius albidus|
|New Zealand Hake, Antarctic Queen, Blue Whiting,||Chile and New Zealand||Merluccius australis|
|Chilean Hake, Patagnian Hake, and Southern Hake||Chile and New Zealand||Merluccius australis|
|South American Hake, Argentine Hake, Argentine Whiting, and Southwest Atlantic Hake||South American Atlantic Coast||Merluccius hubbsi|
|Chilean Hake, Chilean Whiting, English Hake, Pacific Hake, South Pacific Hake, Peruvian Hake, and Whiting||South American Pacific Coast||Merluccius gayi|
|Senegalese Hake and Black Hake||North African Atlantic Coast||Merluccius senegalesis|
|South African Hake, Cape Hake, Shallow water Hake Cape Hake, South African Whiting Stockfish and Cape Capensis||Southeast Atlantic||Merluccius capensis|
There are far more hake market names in different parts of the world. Those we have just listed are among the numerous names that exist.
Moreover, the size of Panla fish varies depending on these regions. While some areas have a long Hake fish, others are a small variety.
The one market name that seems to be consistent among these names is “whiting”.
Nutritional Value of Hake Fish
It will not be pleasant to conclude this discussion by simply knowing the names of this spectacular fish, without going through its nutritional value.
In this respect, you should check below to find out the health benefits of hake.
- Panla fish is distinguished by its liposoluble vitamin A, E and D. Not only that but with a small amount of protein and fatty acids. The fish also contains vitamins like B6 and B12, which are responsible for lowering homocysteine levels and built up your red blood cell.
- The vitamins and polyunsaturated fatty acids present in Panla fish as mentioned above can reduce the risk of stroke, heart attack, high blood pressure, and obesity. It’s interesting to note that it’s not just hake that has these nutrients, but other seafood as well.
- In case you don’t know, Panla fish has a moderate ‘Omega-3 eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), docosapentaenoic acid (DPA), and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), which is very useful for the growth and development of babies and children’s nervous systems.
- Do you also know that the hake flesh contains about 0.079 of mercury? This means that you can consume 8-12 ounces of these fish per week.
- Eating Hake fish can establish you to have healthy mucosa and skin, due to the presence of vitamin A and some omega-3 essential fatty acids like ALA, DPA, and DHA.
- Moreover, the presence of iodine, calcium, phosphorus, and other elements in hake fish is very important such as human nitration and thyroid hormone synthesis.
- Those who love to eat white meat will find Hake fish an adequate pleasure. It has an amino acid and protein profile in a healthier proportion.
You may obtain this type of fish anywhere in Nigeria. But they are very frequent in coastal areas, like Lagos and Port-Harcourt, since these are the two regions that are close to the Atlantic Ocean.
There are several ways in which hake fish can be prepared. You can cook it, boil, fry, grill, clutch, sauté, smoke, steam, or either sushi the fish. All of these are global methods for preparing a Panla fish.
You can opt for one of those methods that suit you best.
You saw the English name for Panla fish and some other names. The next time you encounter one of the above names, you will be able to identify the area where the hake is located.
If you did not eat fish before, you should begin now. Because the nutritional value of hake is not something that should be missed.